Master of Applied Linguistics and Exegesis (MLE) – 49 credit hours
Equips you for work in Bible translation and literacy. Includes knowledge of applied
linguistics and biblical exegesis for effective cross-cultural communications and ministry. Degree offered in cooperation with Canada Institute of Linguistics.
- Exegete with reference to an original Biblical language.
- Apply principles of hermeneutics in Bible study.
- Articulate basic theological concepts.
- Work collaboratively with speakers of minority languages.
- Produce scientific descriptions of minority languages and cultures.
- Produce literature and materials for literacy instruction
- Design plans and strategies for a range of objectives in a language development program.
- Grow in love for God, love for others, and manifest the fruit of the Spirit.
- Deepen their commitment to world evangelism.
- Cope with spiritual conflict through their resources in Christ.
- A 4-year undergraduate degree or its equivalent;
- Six (6) hours of Introduction to the Bible, and three (3) hours of Introduction to Theology. Students without these (or similar courses, with permission), must take BIB 500-Introduction to the Bible and THS 540-Introduction to Theology. Although these are prerequisite courses, they may (with permission) be taken concurrently with certain other Bible and Theology courses. (Note that these courses are not counted in the 49-hour MLE program requirement.);
- Twelve (12) semester hours of linguistics (Language and Society, Articulatory Phonetics, Phonological Analysis, and Grammatical Analysis), with a minimum grade of B in each course. These courses are offered through the Canada Institute of Linguistics at Trinity Western University, ideally through the Summer Program;
- An overall undergraduate GPA of at least 2.50;
- Evidence of Christian conversion and written commitment to sustain The Community Standards of ACTS;
- Students for whom English is a second language must take a TOEFL or IELTS test, and must attain a TOEFL score of 100 iBT (with 23 minimum in each category of Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing), or an IELTS Band Score of 7. They will be required to participate in the English Writing Lab to assist them in the completion of their assignments.